Saturday, June 24, 2006

Whether You Like It Or Not

- Mariel 'yie Abendan


“I am not capable of doing it, because I am not used to it.” This was his excuse as I encouraged him to grab the opportunity of the fifty percent discount in Call Center Training.

So I turned my back and began to walk along the hallway. Mulling, asking: “Was it all about that?” As soon as I left the school premises alone and went to the mall for a cup of cappuccino in a coffee shop located inside, two young men dressed in corporate attires ordered their café Americano and sited their place behind me. “If not just for my kids then, I would not be staying in this job.” He sighed. It was my last zip to my coffee when I heard him say that. A couple of minutes when I took my wallet inside the bag for check out and leave the shop then.

Confusingly, I walked just to stroll and somehow unwind. The guitar that has been displayed for bargain catches my attention not just because of its discounted price, but the thought of the guitar in me… Miko, my brother that is pretty much cool in playing that instrument. One tough man, rugged and almost all my friends admire him. Planning to put himself in a business off the ground. But amazingly, he wants to enterprise in a Salon Industry. So, I laughed and asked him giggling, “Why he came up to that idea?” He replied with another question, “You want money, right?...of course you want money since it’s a prime necessity to live. “You see, it’s either men or women, spend 300 bucks or more just to look great. Blah, blah, blah…”. And in the end he said, “Don’t just do what you want but do what you have to”.

Suddenly my laughter turned out to a simple smile, remembering the man in the coffee shop who was grieving about his job.

It was already four and I have to go back in school for my last subject when I realized the thought.

As a student, as often times we gave lame excuses on our low or failed remarks, saying that the subject is not our eminency… that is why. But in the real world, as a student or any individual, the most valuable result of education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done… WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

Well, I think it’s the first lesson to be learned, perhaps. Not just to do and fulfill our natural interest but making our interest to do what can fulfill us. And from every new assignment, it can help our ability to reveal and develop ourselves increasingly.

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way you write your story, every word moves accordingly... It is a fact that every individual must face in order to grasp reality... life revolves around us and we make the difference... goodluck to you and keep on writing! - singkit

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger mariel abendan said...

Thank you.. Your comment really inspires me.. -yie :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home